WHO ARE WE?
iSightCornwall is the first centre of resource for all in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly who are affected by sight loss, whatever their age, circumstance or condition.
We know from experience that losing your sight is traumatic. For most people, it is devastating news which is emotionally distressing and takes time to adapt. Initially they’re consumed by the belief that they have no hope of leading an active, independent life ever again. The emotional reaction resembles that of grieving and can lead to feelings of isolation and depression.
WE ARE THERE EVERY STEP OF THE WAY, WHETHER IT TAKES A COUPLE OF MONTHS OR EVEN A FEW YEARS.
Here at iSightCornwall, we care passionately about helping anyone living with a visual impairment and have done ever since our foundation begun in 1856. The charity started its work by supporting the Cornish miners and originally operated under the Cornwall Blind Association name.
NEXT YEAR WE CELEBRATE OUR 165TH BIRTHDAY AND WE ARE MAKING EXCITING PLANS TO CELEBRATE IT WITH OUR CLIENTS, SUPPORTERS AND THE COMMUNITY.
We are ready and willing to afford individuals the support and encouragement they need to lead active, independent, and involved lives, at their homes, workplaces, educational institutes and social lives.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Low Vision appointments and specialist advice which can take place at a clinic, sight centre or at home.
- Assistive Technology which can transform an individual’s everyday living, reading, writing and so much more.
- A range of clubs and activities for visually impaired people taking place throughout Cornwall, from dancing to shooting – there’s something for everyone.
- An Eye Clinic Liaison Officer can provide emotional and practical support to help people understand their diagnosis and come to terms with living with sight loss.
- A Community Outreach team who provide personalised advice and support for people living with sight loss through community events, open days and free home visits.
- An experienced benefits advisor to help people get their full entitlement.
WHAT DO OUR CLIENTS SAY?
“Losing my sight was such a dark time and I would not have made it through without iSightCornwall. Coming into the Sight Centre and having a chat with Dom, who was working on reception and who is also visually impaired, was a turning point in my journey.
“He was such an inspiration to me and motivated me to try and return to work and get my independence back. And that’s the thing with iSightCornwall: it’s not just all the amazing services they offer but it’s the warm welcome and the understanding which helps, when I walked into the Sight Centre I felt normal for the first time since I had started to lose my sight.”